Advice, Preparation . . . Results™

Did you make the deadline?

Hopefully your tax returns are filed and behind you for another year.  If not, you probably requested an automatic extension of time to file.

But . . . what should you do if you procrastinated and just let the day slip by without filing or extending?

  • Prepare your taxes as soon as possible to determine whether you’re expecting a refund or you need to pay tax!
  • If you’re expecting a refund (and the data held by the IRS support that expectation), the agency won’t penalize you for being late so no worries there. Don’t wait too long though; eventually the government will just accept it as a contribution towards the national debt and won’t even thank you for your donation.
  • If you need to pay tax, send your payment to the IRS as soon as possible. The IRS charges penalties and interest for late payments.  Mail your payment with Form 1040-V, noting your social security number and 2012 Form 1040 on your check.
  • Other methods of payment include direct debit from your bank account if you eFile, or payment by credit card (be prepared for a processing fee to pay by credit or debit card though).
  • If you owe more tax than you can pay, send as much as you can afford to minimize late payment penalties and interest.  Request a payment plan to pay the remainder, either online at the IRS website, or on Form 9465.
  • If you receive a bill from the IRS, don’t ignore it!  You can resolve it with the IRS yourself, or seek the help of a CPA or attorney if necessary, but the problem will only escalate if you don’t take action.

If you need the support of a CPA, the team at Patrick & Robinson CPAs is here to help.  Contact us at or 904-396-5400.

« »

What Our Clients Are Saying

I am pleased to recommend Mark and his firm. He has helped us to become a better organization and better people as well. He has the gift of being able to know in depth matters financial, including …
Rev. Louis R. Lothman, Th.D.

Frequently Asked Questions


If audited by the IRS, who can represent you?


CPAs, attorneys and a tax professional known as an enrolled agent (EA) are authorized to represent taxpayers in an IRS audit. An EA has proven their competency by passing an...



4029 Atlantic Boulevard, Jacksonville, Florida 32207
6000-A Sawgrass Village Circle, Suite 1, Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida 32082


Copyright © 2018 Patrick & Raines CPAs, LLC.
All rights reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Use