Advice, Preparation . . . Results™

Hold International Taxpayer Status? Here’s Help.

The IRS provides a useful web page for taxpayers affected by different kinds of international status, such as U.S. citizens living in foreign countries, foreign students, resident and non-resident aliens, and residents of U.S. territories.

Americans living abroad must file a U.S. tax return each year, as do non-citizens living and working in the United States. Non-citizens living outside the U.S. who conduct some form of business here must also file a return each year. Temporary residents, such as students, may also need to file.

All U.S. citizens and resident aliens must report worldwide income, and you can find links to FBAR and FATCA information on the IRS’ web page.  Whether you’re reporting foreign wages or simply filing an FBAR you’ll need to state the amounts in U.S. dollars, so look for the link to currency exchange information.

This page provides helpful guidance on paying your tax obligations and receiving your tax refunds.  If you need to contact the IRS or Taxpayer Advocate from outside the United States, phone numbers and addresses are available.

Need extra help determining your international reporting requirements? Contact our tax accountant team at Patrick & Robinson CPAs for assistance with foreign and domestic tax reporting: or 904-396-5400.

« »

What Our Clients Are Saying

I am so much more comfortable with how our finances are now being handled. Thanks for your help!
Dr. Randy T. HodgesSenior Pastor HernandoChurch of the Nazarene

Frequently Asked Questions


What if I have estate, gifting or asset protection concerns?


Before making a serious and perhaps irreversible decision about shifting assets to other individuals, trustees, guardians or planning the transfer of your estate, consult a qualified professional about how to...



4029 Atlantic Boulevard, Jacksonville, Florida 32207
6000-A Sawgrass Village Circle, Suite 1, Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida 32082


Copyright © 2018 Patrick & Raines CPAs, LLC.
All rights reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Use