Advice, Preparation . . . Results™

I haven’t received my W-2 yet…now what?

While a W-2 is essential for an accurate individual income tax return, there are a few options if you’re ready to file without your W-2 in hand.

First, contact your employer, ask for a copy of your W-2 and verify your mailing address. If you still find yourself without a W-2, the IRS may be able to help.

By calling 800-829-1040, you can request a Form 4852 as a substitute for your W-2.  Be prepared to provide your:

  • Name
  • Mailing address
  • Social Security number
  • Employer’s name, address and phone number
  • Dates worked
  • Estimate of federal tax withheld for the year

If you choose to use Form 4852, you may need to file an amended return (Form 1040X) if the tax information on your W-2 differs from what you reported. Also, if you realize you’re missing the W-2 too close to the filing deadline, you can apply for an automatic extension to file by using Form 4868.

Of course, we’d all rather receive our W-2 timely; but in case you don’t, remember other options exist.

The tax professionals at Patrick & Robinson CPAs can help you file your return on time, as well as assist with any other tax accounting issues you may face.

Contact us at (904) 396-5400 or

« »

What Our Clients Are Saying

My primary reason for doing business with Tim is the feeling of trust I’ve always had.  
Kimberly Ashley, Kim Smith Writes

Frequently Asked Questions


How much should I withhold from my paycheck?


The answer depends on many factors. Do you prefer to withhold more today so you get a refund next year? (Your money is really an interest-free loan from you to...



4029 Atlantic Boulevard, Jacksonville, Florida 32207
6000-A Sawgrass Village Circle, Suite 1, Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida 32082


Copyright © 2020 Patrick & Raines CPAs, LLC.
All rights reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Use