Advice, Preparation . . . Results™

IRS Makes Prior Year Tax Information Accessible

For taxpayers who’ve ever needed a previous year’s tax return but couldn’t seem to find it, the IRS offers a solution. For no charge, you can get a transcript for the current year or any of the preceding three years from the IRS.

This information can be requested online or by mail. Online orders are processed immediately, but mail orders take about 5-10 days.

While these returns are free, remember they’re just transcripts. The transcript shows most line items from your return, but it’s basically a bunch of numbers on a page and can be difficult to interpret.

If you want a copy of your actual return, be prepared to fill out Form 4506 and lighten your checking account by $50. Please note: this fee may be waived if your return needs to be replaced because you’re in a federal disaster area.

If you need a reliable CPA’s expertise to interpret your transcript, obtain a transcript for you, or help you plan for or prepare your taxes, get in touch! Contact Patrick & Robinson CPAs at or 904-396-5400.  We look forward to hearing from you.

« »

What Our Clients Are Saying

I am pleased to recommend Mark and his firm. He has helped us to become a better organization and better people as well. He has the gift of being able to know in depth matters financial, including …
Rev. Louis R. Lothman, Th.D.

Frequently Asked Questions


How much should I withhold from my paycheck?


The answer depends on many factors. Do you prefer to withhold more today so you get a refund next year? (Your money is really an interest-free loan from you to...



4029 Atlantic Boulevard, Jacksonville, Florida 32207
6000-A Sawgrass Village Circle, Suite 1, Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida 32082


Copyright © 2018 Patrick & Raines CPAs, LLC.
All rights reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Use