Advice, Preparation . . . Results™

IRS or a scammer? Avoid the mistake thousands make.

Whether or not you owe money from your individual or business tax return, watch out.

The IRS warns taxpayers that scammers continue acting more boldly and deviously to separate you from your money. They use fake letterhead, fake caller ID, fake names, and fake badge numbers to convince you they’re an official contact.

Don’t be fooled! More than 4,000 victims reported losses exceeding $20 million collectively to the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration (TIGTA).

Scammers frequently use fear tactics to coerce you into complying with their demands. You may not enjoy dealing with the IRS, but don’t fall for the con-artist’s trick. The agency assures us its agents will never:

  • Call about taxes owed without first sending you a bill;
  • Angrily demand immediate payment of moneys owed;
  • Threaten you with local law-enforcement action for non-payment;
  • Demand payment without providing an opportunity to question or appeal the amount;
  • Ask for credit or debit card numbers over the phone; or
  • Require a specific payment method.

Guard against scams and potential identity theft by never providing personal or financial information to strangers calling or on suspicious websites. Don’t follow links to websites sent in suspicious emails.

Remember: the IRS website is Sites ending in .com, .net, or dot-anything-other-than-gov are not official IRS sites.

If you received a communication that you owe money to the IRS, call the agency at 800-829-1040. IRS staff can help with a payment issue and you won’t wonder if the person you’re talking with is genuine.

If you don’t think you owe money—or you’re sure you don’t—report the incident to TIGTA at 800-366-4484. Also, contact the Federal Trade Commission, providing as much information as possible to help it crack down on these criminal schemes.

Have questions about this or other tax or accounting issues? Contact the Patrick & Robinson CPAs team at (904) 396-5400 or…we’re real and genuine!

« »

What Our Clients Are Saying

I am so much more comfortable with how our finances are now being handled. Thanks for your help!
Dr. Randy T. HodgesSenior Pastor HernandoChurch of the Nazarene

Frequently Asked Questions


Is it worth the cost of a CPA to get your tax return prepared?


While many options exist for preparing your tax returns, the complexity of the tax law continually increases—and in recent years the pace seems to have increased. If you experienced anything...



4029 Atlantic Boulevard, Jacksonville, Florida 32207
6000-A Sawgrass Village Circle, Suite 1, Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida 32082


Copyright © 2019 Patrick & Raines CPAs, LLC.
All rights reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Use