Advice, Preparation . . . Results™

Self-Employed? Be Sure Your Tax Return Is Correct

If you’re self-employed, the IRS offers several tips to ensure your individual tax return is correct.

The agency needs to ensure you’re paying your fair share, which, of course, is important to do. With so many rules and regulations you may miss something, and oversights can cost big money in penalties and interest.

You must declare all self-employment (SE) income on your return. Even if you hire yourself out part-time in addition to your regular job, those earnings still count as self-employed income.

Also, track the expenses related to your self-employment and record it all on Schedule C, which you file with your 1040 tax return. Allowable deductions include expenses that are ordinary (common and accepted costs in your industry) and necessary (helpful and proper for your business).

If you made a profit you may need to pay SE Tax. Use Schedule SE to figure the tax, and attach it to your return if you owe.

You may also need to make estimated tax payments throughout the year. (In fact, the date of this blog post is one of the estimated tax deadline days.) The government expects you to pay on time, and if you’re underpaid when you file your annual tax return, you may be subject to a penalty.

Self-employment income requires diligent monitoring, so if you need the help of a tax accountant team accustomed to assisting small businesses, including sole proprietors and independent contractors, contact Patrick & Robinson CPAs at or (904) 396-5400.

« »

What Our Clients Are Saying

My primary reason for doing business with Tim is the feeling of trust I’ve always had.  
Kimberly Ashley, Kim Smith Writes

Frequently Asked Questions


What is the difference between certified public accountants (CPAs) and other accountants?


CPAs achieve high standards of education and then pass rigorous examinations. In addition, they’re regulated by their resident state, must meet strict continuing education requirements, submit to peer review, and...



4029 Atlantic Boulevard, Jacksonville, Florida 32207
6000-A Sawgrass Village Circle, Suite 1, Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida 32082


Copyright © 2019 Patrick & Raines CPAs, LLC.
All rights reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Use