Advice, Preparation . . . Results™

The IRS Helps Students with the Financial Aid Paperwork

Do you need to fill in a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)?  If you don’t have a copy of your tax return at hand the IRS has a tool on your FAFSA application providing a convenient automatic transfer of your tax data.

Using the tool will save time and minimize the chance of incorrect data entry. To use it, though, you must provide a valid Social Security Number and have filed your 2013 tax return. You’ll also need a Federal Student Aid PIN, which you can apply for during the FAFSA application process if you don’t already have one. 

Factors that would prevent you from using this tool include a change in marital status since the end of 2013 or filing your return as Married Filing Separately.  Additionally, if you filed an amended, Puerto Rican (or other foreign) tax return you won’t be eligible.

Outside of these select circumstances, this feature will be a great help for parents and students seeking federal aid.

Of course, if Patrick & Robinson CPAs prepared your taxes we’re always happy to provide you with an electronic copy of your return.  Contact us at or 904-396-5400.

« »

What Our Clients Are Saying

My primary reason for doing business with Tim is the feeling of trust I’ve always had.  
Kimberly Ashley, Kim Smith Writes

Frequently Asked Questions


How much should I withhold from my paycheck?


The answer depends on many factors. Do you prefer to withhold more today so you get a refund next year? (Your money is really an interest-free loan from you to...



4029 Atlantic Boulevard, Jacksonville, Florida 32207
6000-A Sawgrass Village Circle, Suite 1, Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida 32082


Copyright © 2020 Patrick & Raines CPAs, LLC.
All rights reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Use