Advice, Preparation . . . Results™

Will the government help me save for retirement?

Good news! You may be able to claim the Retirement Savings Contribution Credit to save money as part of your retirement planning. This credit adds to other savings, such as the credit you receive for contributing to a traditional IRA.

Income limits exist on claiming this credit. Household income must remain below:

  • $60,000 for married taxpayers filing jointly,
  • $45,000 for head of household, or
  • $30,000 for single or married filing separately.

The maximum credit available is $2,000 ($1,000 for single taxpayers).

Other rules that apply include:

  • Taxpayers must be at least 18 years old.
  • Taxpayers can’t be claimed as a dependent on another person’s return.
  • Taxpayers can’t be full-time students during the year they wish to claim the credit.
  • 401k contributions must be made during the taxable calendar year. IRA contributions may generally be made by April 15, when the tax return is due.

Claim your Savings Credit on Form 8880.

If your income exceeds the maximum allowable and you need other tax and retirement planning ideas, contact the tax accountant team at Patrick & Robinson CPAs: or 904-396-5400.

« »

What Our Clients Are Saying

I am pleased with the service and patience we have received. Thanks to your service, we have greater confidence in our financial position. Professional… helpful… cooperative… and accommodating to our …
Dr. Randy T. HodgesHernando Church of the Nazarene

Frequently Asked Questions


If audited by the IRS, who can represent you?


CPAs, attorneys and a tax professional known as an enrolled agent (EA) are authorized to represent taxpayers in an IRS audit. An EA has proven their competency by passing an...



4029 Atlantic Boulevard, Jacksonville, Florida 32207
6000-A Sawgrass Village Circle, Suite 1, Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida 32082


Copyright © 2018 Patrick & Raines CPAs, LLC.
All rights reserved. Privacy Policy | Terms of Use